225 g (0.5 lb) orzo
2.5 dl (1 c) water
300-350 g (10-12 oz) fresh or frozen small shrimp (peeled and deveined)
1 large red onion (finely chopped)
3 cloves of garlic (grated or finely chopped)
450 g (16 oz) crushed or diced tomatoes
250 g (9 oz) feta cheese (crumbled, cubed or sliced)
1.5 – 2 tbsp olive oil
1 large lemon (zest + juice)
1 tsp salt
0.5 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp fresh or frozen parsley (finely chopped)
1 tbsp fresh or frozen basil (finely chopped)
0.5 tsp dried oregano
1-2 tbsp fresh chives (finely chopped) for garnish
1. Heat oven to 200 C (400 F)
2. Put all of the ingredients (except for the shrimp, the orzo, the feta cheese and the chives) in a 30x25x5 cm (12x10x2 in) baking dish or baking pan.
3. Bake in oven for about 15-20 minutes.
4. Add the shrimp and the orzo and more water if needed.
5. Bake for another 15 minutes, making sure to stir every 5 minutes to prevent the orzo from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
6. Spread the feta cheese on top and broil for a few minutes until the cheese starts to turn golden brown around the edges.
7. Sprinkle chives over top and serve with a fresh salad on the side.
(Tip: The shrimp can be substituted with grilled pork or boiled/grilled chicken)