I have always loved tuna salad…I was practically brought up on the stuff. My mom always made it with mayonnaise and so did everyone else…While it’s absolutely delicious, it’s not the most health-conscious choice. I’m not saying you have to stop eating mayo and foods you enjoy altogether, but if you want a healthier alternative to regular tuna salad, then you might want to try my recipe:
400g (14 oz) canned tuna in water or brine (well drained and flaked with a fork)
1 large carrot (finely chopped or grated)
2 ribs of celery (peeled and finely chopped)
1 large yellow or red onion (finely chopped)
2.5 dl (1 c) plain low-fat yoghurt or 2 dl (¾ c) low-fat crème fraîche.
1 tsp salt
0.5 tsp black pepper
1. Combine the chopped vegetables and the tuna in a bowl.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the yoghurt or crème fraîche and mix well.
- serve as a salad with vegetables on the side.
- serve as a dip with raw vegetables, crackers, breadsticks, or chips.
- spread on your favorite bread with sliced vegetables and lettuce for a yummy sandwich.
(Tip: Top the tuna salad with crispy bacon for a wonderful flavor that will make your tastebuds sing and dance!)