This is a pasta dish with lots of flavor and color and it’s super easy to make…Just a few simple steps to follow and presto! Dinner is served! 🙂 Your dinner guests will be impressed and they’ll thank you for serving them this heavenly meal!
500 g (1 lb) pasta of your choice
250 g (½ lb) diced bacon
1 yellow onion (finely chopped)
1 large bell pepper (any color) (diced)
300 g (10 oz) canned sliced mushrooms (with liquid)
15-20 Kalamata olives (pitted and finely chopped)
1.5 tbsp concentrated beef stock
2-3 tbsp olive oil
200 g (7 oz) feta cheese (cubed)
2 tbsp tomato paste + 1.25 dl (½ c) water
1 tsp salt
0.5 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp fresh or frozen basil
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 1-2 tsp of salt, and cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions.
2. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet.
3. Put the bacon in the pan and cook until brown and crispy.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion and bell pepper and cook until tender.
5. Add the mushrooms with liquid, the olives, the beef stock, the tomato paste+water, salt, pepper and herbs and stir well.
6. Simmer for 10-15 minutes over low-medium heat.
7. When the sauce is just about ready, add the feta cheese and stir it in gently..you don’t want feta cheese purée.
8. Toss pasta with sauce.
9. Serve with extra basil on top, garlic bread, and a fresh salad.
(Tip: If you don’t like the smokey flavor of bacon (personally I love it), then you can substitute the bacon with pancetta.)