I’m finally back after a very long absence due to many different factors, which I won’t bore you with…With me I have a whole bunch of recipes that I’m going to share with you starting today! 🙂 This recipe is the result of a game I like to call “Effie’s Food Roulette”, which means that I look in the fridge/freezer/cabinets and pick out a few ingredients that I think go well together and make something out of them! It’s a very easy meal to prepare and it tastes great too! You can make this for lunch, brunch or dinner and serve it with rice, pasta or potatoes…It will feed a small army (or 6 people….😀)
500 g (1 lb) ground beef
1.25 dl (½ c) dried red lentils (rinsed and sorted through)
1 large red, yellow, or green bell pepper (diced)
1 large yellow or red onion (finely chopped)
1 300 g (10 oz) can of corn (drained)
1 300 g (10 oz) can of sliced mushrooms (with liquid)
1 tbsp olive oil
1.25 dl (½ c) vegetable stock
2 tbsp tomato paste
0.5 tsp dried oregano
0.5 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp fresh or frozen chives (finely chopped)
1 tsp salt
0.5 tsp ground black pepper
1. Bring a small pot of water to a boil, add 1 tsp of salt, and cook the lentils for 5 minutes or until tender. Be careful not to overcook them, they will turn to mush.
2. Rinse lentils under cold water, drain, and set aside.
3. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet.
4. Add the beef, breaking it up into smaller pieces with a wooden fork, a spatula with holes in it, or a potato masher.
5. When the meat starts to brown, add the bell pepper and the onion and cook until tender.
6. Add the mushrooms with liquid, the vegetable stock, tomato paste, dried herbs, salt, and pepper.
7. Give it a good stir and simmer over medium heat for a few minutes until the liquid has reduced and thickened slightly.
8. Add lentils, corn, and chives and cook over low heat until heated through, a couple of minutes.
9. Serve with rice, pasta or potatoes (fries, wedges, mashed, etc.. this goes well with everything.)
(Tip: The mushrooms can be omitted, substitute the mushrooms with more bell pepper, corn or lentils and the mushroom liquid with 1.25 dl (½ c) water.)