Soup is such a versatile meal and usually very easy to prepare since it virtually cooks itself…You can easily substitute one ingredient for another or add more or less of a certain ingredient…it’s all up to you really… I enjoy experimenting in the kitchen and soup is a wonderful way of combining different ingredients, and I’m almost always pleased with the results. In this case I took your basic tomato/vegetable soup and added mini meatballs to it..I love meatballs, and I love soup…perfect!
500 g (1 lb) ground beef
4 medium sized potatoes (peeled and cubed)
2 ribs of celery (peeled and finely chopped)
2 large yellow onions (diced)
2 l (2 qts) water
5 dl (2 c) frozen peas
300 g (10 oz) canned corn (drained)
400 g (14 oz) canned mixed beans (rinsed and drained)
500 g (18 oz) strained tomatoes
3 tbsp concentrated beef stock
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp fresh or frozen parsley (finely chopped)
1 tbsp fresh or frozen chives (finely chopped)
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp fresh or frozen chives (finely chopped)/serving
1 tbsp crème fraîche or sour cream/serving
1. In a large pot over high heat, bring water, butter and stock to a boil.
2. Add potatoes and reduce heat to medium.
3. Prepare the meatballs by mixing the ground beef with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
4. Using your hands, roll the meatballs into 2.5 cm/1 in balls.
5. Put the meatballs into the pot along with the onions, celery, peas, corn, beans, and strained tomatoes.
6. After 20-25 minutes, add herbs and give the soup a gentle stir.
7. Cook for 20-25 more minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the meatballs are cooked through.
8. Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche or sour cream in the middle and chives on top.
(Tip: Don’t like beans or peas? Substitute them with more potatoes. )